Sunday, November 6, 2011

Don't Call me, "Friend Request" Me

So, I was at a wedding last night and surprisingly enough, there were quite a few single females. After a few drinks in, I became a dancing fool/chatty cathy with lots of half-ass conversing and overt flirtatiousness going on. When it came to the point of being asked; "Hey! We should hang out sometime!", what I found most fascinating was, rather than any female jotting down my number, I was asked to type my name into the Facebook app on their iPhone, so they can "Friend Request" me ....this happened with 3 different females over the course of the night, I should point out.

As I reflect on the evening and sip on my morning coffee, I'd like tell myself that I got 3 phone numbers last night .....but I didn't. I definitely know I got something. There were obvious vibes and attractions. But now I'm supposed to do what? Give them my number via Facebook? Why couldn't have I just done that last night, instead of typing my name into their smartphone? 

I'm starting to feel old and obsolete, even though my refusal to give-in to technology is completely by choice. I think I'm the only 20-something I know without a fancy ass phone. Even my mom has one. Call me old-fashioned or stubborn but I don't understand why the concept of dating has to become more complicated. I don't care which mutual friends we have or how many photos you're tagged in. If you do, then you should put your phone down and get some fresh air.